Monday, December 26, 2011

I'm a team player - NOT a soloist


Warm up
1 lap around Offutt Field House
500 m row (no more than 25m/s)


WOD 
5 pullups
10 pushups
15 squats 
AMRAP in 20min

Went to Offutt today to do my own WOD.  Not too sure what to expect, a lot of bases aren't on the "CrossFit Kick".  Offutt is come to find out.  They've got a "Tactical Arena", aka CrossFit area.  A military CrossFitter's paradise - all the machines, bumper plates, metal and everything else you want.  My dream was soon to be a nightmare...

Here's the deal.  I'm a team CrossFitter.  No ifs ands or buts, I work well in teams, in groups, really anyway except my own.  I feed off the energy of those around me.  I feed off of someone pushing me, me pushing someone.  The person next to me two steps ahead of me and me doing whatever I can to surpass that person next to me.
I didn't have that today.  Instead I had four ladies and a guy doing a WOD and instead of putting everything into the workout, they were putting everything into their conversations.  Do you have any idea of how hard it is to focus on pushing through the pain, shoving in one more rep or just continuing when all you hear is people chit chatting non stop?  It's hella hard, especially when I've gotten used to a box stlye workout.
You know what I mean.   The workouts where there are at least five other people all doing the same thing with the same goal.

When it was done I'm upset with myself.  After doing ten minutes of my workout I couldn't take anymore.  I had a great workout, but I just didn't finish.  I wasn't a bear today, Jess would be mad at me.  I let myself down and I can't do that again.  I've been doing so good at trying and saying I can do something and doing it.  Didn't today though.  I tried and failed.
I failed to finish..

I don't know if it is good or bad, but I'm a team player.  And that is most sports I've noticed.  I play golf better with the drive of someone feeding off of me and me feeding off of that person's bomb drive.  I do better in volleyball when someone gives me that perfect set.  Hell, I do better on my PT tests when there are other people running cause I have a person to pass and a person to beat.

I don't do well with chatty people not focusing on the workout.  If you really don't want to try, just get out.  Go to the elliptical and watch the soap operas.  Go lift weights in the weight room.  Just don't distract people trying to go further.

No comments:

Post a Comment